1.WE WANT FREEDOM.
We believe that freedom is only possible through individual and community self-determination. In order for the black community to achieve self-determination all systems of oppression must be dismantled.
2. We want a reformation of the criminal justice system, the abolition of the prison industrial complex and the implementation of community based models of justice and accountability.
This system has routinely targeted Black folks in the form of police brutality and covert corruption in the penal system that has led to the mass incarceration of Black people. The prison system violates human rights, causes the separation of families and capitalizes off the neo-slave labor of Black and Brown bodies that has been the basis of a profitable prison industrial complex.
3. We want control over our reproductive health and believe it is essential to building and maintaining strong black communities.
The United States government has, from its inception, consistently attempted to regulate, scapegoat and profit from the reproductive capabilities of black people. The denial of reproductive justice and autonomy began during slavery and continues today in the form of sterilization abuses, purposeful prescription of harmful contraceptives, and the targeting of black women as eugenicists for demanding access to safe and legal abortions. We demand an end to the pathology and criminalization of black motherhood and families the right to affordable and safe reproductive health care for all.
4. We want an end to all forms of physical, emotional, and sexual violence against black children.
We oppose the continued removal of black children from their homes by state agencies and see it as a part of a continued assault on black families and a form of cultural genocide. Children in general, and black children in particular, are seen as less than human which makes them easy targets in a system where dependence is seen as weakness and vulnerability. Therefore we recognize that dismantling systems of oppressions that promote hierarchies of dehumanization are in the best interest of black children. Specifically we want to break the cycles of violence that exist in our communities.
5. We want media to reflect the diversity of who we are, to include our voices, value our bodies and our stories.
We believe that the media both mirrors and shapes society. Therefore there is a need to develop a critical eye towards our media consumption, as the media is a system that perpetuates oppression. We believe in a shared responsibility to consume, demand and create the messages and representations that truly reflect our humanity.
Rest at the link. Credit notes from original post = This twelve point platform was created by the Black Feminist Working Group (BFWG). (Iresha Picot, Kimberly Murray, Tiamba Wilkerson, Nuala Cabral, Darasia Shelby and Ladi’Sasha Jones). This document is inspired by the work and legacy of the Combahee River Collective and the Black Panther Party for Self Defense.
- deedixon reblogged this from materialworld
- aint-i-a-woman reblogged this from materialworld
- sheluvsbball likes this
- unapologeticrose likes this
- summeeeerssss likes this
- craziesgalore likes this
- witchspit likes this
- grasstomyknees likes this
- afro-politaine reblogged this from gynocraticgrrl
- eternallyanindividual likes this
- libbylibbylove likes this
- praisethelorde likes this
- blkcowrie reblogged this from nuestrahermana
- blkcowrie likes this
- causeicraft likes this
- desliz reblogged this from laborreguitina
- zoezoloft reblogged this from laborreguitina
- 4wardseverbackwardsnever likes this
- aybrunoh likes this
- popagranda likes this
- aprilseye likes this
- laborreguitina reblogged this from skyozlem
- skyozlem reblogged this from laborreguitina
- ragstoreverie likes this
- autumnsdaily likes this
- ohmykimb reblogged this from dynastylnoire
- xtjna likes this
- defofasoulsista reblogged this from irie-x
- dicknailed likes this
- dawnism101 reblogged this from dynastylnoire
- ilyxdanger likes this
- nenyamaz reblogged this from dynastylnoire
- unfilteredloving likes this
- browngirlinterrupted reblogged this from dynastylnoire
- browngirlinterrupted likes this
- moodykid likes this
- catwoman25 likes this
- ocean-yoni likes this
- ankhempress likes this
- memevida likes this
- plastickkhearrt likes this
- ranaa likes this
- irie-x reblogged this from daniellemertina
- irie-x likes this
- daniellemertina reblogged this from dynastylnoire
- roropcoldchain likes this
- dynastylnoire reblogged this from girlpower74
- girlpower74 reblogged this from thenaturalessence